Linda joined Falmouth University in 2004, relocating from London where she worked as a freelance Illustrator and academic. She has been commissioned by most of the national newspapers and her illustration career spans almost thirty years illustrating mainly within the editorial field for publications including Times Educational Supplement, Elle Magazine (UK and France), The Independent Newspaper, Jamie Magazine (UK and Holland), Resurgence And Ecologist Magazine, Radio Times and several BBC titles. Music industry commissions have been from BMG, Virgin Records and World Circuit. Linda has also enjoyed commissions within the areas of advertising for Pret A Manger and United Emirates Airlines, design for Southwark Council and Abbey National, publishing for Heinemann, Scholastic and The Ivy Press and public art projects, including Jack’s Cows in Cornwall and creating media workshops for videos used to train teachers for DCA Libya.
Her career as an educator within the field of illustration and design spans twenty four years during and in addition to her teaching role at Falmouth she has also taught at The University Of The Arts London, Surrey Institute, Southampton Institute and Plymouth University. In recent years, Linda has presented research papers at conferences and been published internationally in conference proceedings in Northern Portugal at CONFIA 15,16,17,18 and 19. She has delivered presentations at the University of Lorraine in 2017 and at Burgundy University in 2019.
- Scott, Linda (2014) The Outsider Obsessions. Varoom Magazine, 24 (24). pp. 18-25. ISSN 1750-483x
Scott, Linda (2019) Dark Dualities, Emergence and Eruption: Representations of The Shadow within Contemporary Illustrated Narratives. In: CONFIA19. CONFIA Instituto Politecnio do Calvado e do Ave, Barcelos PORTUGAL. ISBN 978-989-54489-1-3
Scott, Linda (2018) Innocence Lost and the Landscapes of Darkness: Shedding light On Embedded Political Themes in Illustrated Narratives. In: CONFIA 2018: International conference on Illustration & Animation. IPCA, Barcelos PORTUGAL, pp. 608-624. ISBN 978-989-99861-6-9
Scott, Linda (2017) Sneetches, Picture Books and Children as Philosophers: Learning through critical enquiry with storybook characters as your teachers. In: UNSPECIFIED UNSPECIFIED.
Scott, Linda (2016) What role do images and Arts Activism play in reinforcing messages connected to the theme of Climate Change ? In: UNSPECIFIED Edicao IPCA, Barcelos Portugal, pp. 510-524.
Scott, Linda (2015) Illustrator As Activist: Conservation of Endangered Species And the Role Of The Illustrator. In: CONFIA 15. IPCA University Portugal, Portugal, pp. 341-352. ISBN 978-989-98241-9-5
Conference or Workshop Item:
- Scott, Linda (2019) Dark Town: Reimagining dangerous tradition, group ritual and brutal betrayal. In: Illustration and adaptation, October 10/11 2019, Burgundy University Dijon France. (Submitted)
- Scott, Linda (2017) Illustrating Identities Conference in Nancy , France November 8-10 2017. In: Illustrating Identities, November 8 – 10 2017, Lorraine University Nancy France. (Unpublished) Item availability may be restricted.
- Scott, Linda (2019) Heart Of Unity. [Artwork]
- Scott, Linda (2016) Pushing The Envelope. [Artwork]
- Scott, Linda (2016) Komik and Kathode. [Artwork]
- Scott, Linda (2016) Lear Revisited. [Artwork] (Unpublished)
- Scott, Linda (2014) Cheltenham Illustration Awards. [Artwork]
- Scott, Linda (2012) Happy Birthday Mr Lear. [Artwork] Item availability may be restricted.
- Scott, Linda, Ridout, Lizzie, Potter, Ashley, Barwick, Tom, Owens, Dean and Harper, Clare (2012) Message. [Artwork]
- Scott, Linda (2011) Ghosts Of Gone Birds. [Exhibition]
- Osmond, Matthew, Povall, Richard, Leahy, Mark and Nelson, Camilla (2016) Language, Landscape and the Sublime. [Conference]
- Montag, Daro, Osmond, Matthew and Allen, Jude (2014) Soil Culture Forum. [Conference]
- Heholt, Ruth ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6963-6427, Lockley, Elfrea, Douglas, Mark, Downing, Niamh and North, Laurence ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6578-1771 (2014) Haunted Landscapes: Nature, Supernature and the Environment. [Conference]
- Wylde, Gillian, Shapiro, Carolyn, Christoforidou, Maria and Chapman, Neil (2017) FOMO: Falmouth Art Publishing Fair 2017. UNSPECIFIED.
Courses taught at Falmouth University:
- Illustration BA(Hons)
Policy engagement within Cornwall:
Engagement with organisations which contribute to the development of educational, cultural or socio-economic policies in Cornwall
- Exchange Gallery, Penzance/Newlyn Gallery
Business engagement case studies:
- The Bristol Collaboration project, 2017
- Collaboration with Dave Bain / Falmouth University Alumni
Independent professional practice
- FOMO: Presentation on Outsider Art Falmouth Art Gallery 2018
- A Book Of The Night an all night printmaking event at The Exchange Gallery, Penzance
- 24 Hour Comic: a 24 hour event at the Education Core at The Eden Project
- Jacks Cows painted life sized fibre glass cows, auctioned to raise money for The Hall For Cornwall
- Carousel group show at The Hall For Cornwall 2012
- DCA Libya – delivering media workshops via video 2013
Social, community and cultural engagement:
- Banner design and making for Galowan Festival, Penzance
- Staff Illustration Show, The Poly, Falmouth
- St Just Gallery auction to raise money for Knut community centre
Engagement with professional associations and societies:
- Association Of Illustrators, London – Member
EXAMPLES OF WORK
Become adept at problem solving and creating your visual language on an illustration course renowned for its professional practice and industry connections. From day one you’ll have your own desk space, and be encouraged to embrace the studio culture of creative communities.