Defining success criteria

In my last post, I identified some success criteria for the project:

1. It is played outdoors
  2. It is a multi-player game and requires some social contact/connection
  3. It has measurable health benefits
  4. It utilizes technology to facilitate and enhance the game (particularly with regards to forcing and end-game state and to track and offer breadcrumbs to players)
  5. It utilizes at least one application of augmented reality to provide information/feedback to the player
  6. It will utilize GPS tracking to facilitate the game state and catch up mechanics
  7. I’d like to try and implement social media sharing on platforms such as Instagram or TikTok within the game, to bring enhanced relevance of the product to young people

I feel it would be helpful to really clearly define the success criteria for the project. I’ve decide to pick one primary success criteria and have several secondary criteria.

One of the principal reasons for undertaking a Masters course in game development is that I felt when I finished my BA, that my technical skills were quite lacking. As a result, I decided that as a generalist designer, I felt quite strongly that my folio should reflect a diverse set of skills and technical applications. On reflection, I now feel ready to define my success criteria for the project.

Primary criteria:

1. I will primarily experiment in the field of technology and successful implementation of new technology in a game will be the principle purpose of the artifact. This project is particularly attractive as it will likely enable me to experiment with at least 3 technologies I’ve yet to explore in a game development context; creating a mobile product, utilizing networking, utilizing GPS and potentially utilizing Augmented Reality. I expect that it will represent a particularly distinctive piece within my portfolio.

Secondary criteria:

Whilst most of these factors will be addressed as ‘stretch goals’ or additional features, I’ll be particularly pleased if I can implement any or all of the following:

1. The game will be played outdoors. The contemporary context of this criteria follows from the effects of pandemic lock-down. It is envisaged that many people will be quite eager to explore open and public spaces and a game which is played outdoors will help facilitate this desire among players.
  2. It is a multi-player game and requires some social contact/connection. This criteria follows on from the previous one. Many people will have experienced isolation during recent months and it is anticipated that the future launch of this game will facilitate further connection between people in a fun, playful context.
  3. It has measurable health benefits. Simply put, it is not controversial to suggest that outdoor activity helps general fitness and I will look at ways to offer metrics to players which can support health goals, such as distance traveled and approximate calories burned.
  4. It utilizes technology to facilitate and enhance the game (particularly with regards to forcing and end-game state and to track and offer breadcrumbs to players). It will utilize GPS tracking to facilitate the game state and catch up mechanics
  5. It utilizes at least one application of augmented reality to provide information/feedback to the player. I quite like the idea of presenting AR footprints to the Spy/Seeker, which are generated by the Ninja/Hider as they move. Those footprints will start out red (hot) and rapidly cool (green, then vanish), the older they are. If the Spy is close behind the Ninja, they will be able to use their phone’s camera to see the footprints on the ground.
  6. I’d like to try and implement social media sharing on platforms such as Instagram or TikTok within the game, to bring enhanced relevance of the product to young people. I’ve found some tutorials on how to implement social media sign in and also to render and send media such as video to social media platforms. It would be particularly attractive to use such a feature to widen the audience of this game.

In summary, I will principally commit to achieving my primary criteria but also look to deliver as many secondary criteria as I can. This is quite an ambitious project, but I do believe that it is innovative, experimental and a worthwhile contribution to my offering as a designer.